Wednesday 2 January 2013

Seedlings - sibling rivalry



Lovely as it is to buy a fully grown, flowering sized orchid, don't you wonder where its been all its life? Usually a considerable few years before it comes to you.

Its always satisfying keeping your orchids alive and coaxing them into re-flowering for you. Of course if you buy a fully grown near blooming size plant, the chances are considerably greater and the wait is much much shorter than if you start with a seedling. The reward of growing seedlings into 'grown up' plants is all the sweeter when the work has been all your own. ( Well mostly, apart from the the pollinating and the flasking and then the de-flasking!)

Seedlings can be much more sensitive to a change in culture conditions, and prefer to be slightly warmer and not dry out too much.
Saying that, I don't pander to them too much as I feel if they cant adapt to my growing conditions quickly, then the sooner they turn their toes up the better!
So far they have all accepted their fate and done supprisingly well and proved to be far tougher than I always believed.
I keep my seedlings amongst my other orchids and make sure that I check they don't dry out, or get any direct sunlight on them.

My smallest seedlings are in two inch community pots of Dendrobium primulinum and Dendrobium anosmum. I have had them since Feburary and they are doing well. There are about four or five seedlings in each pot with seedling bark. To prevent the tiny peices of bark from either being tipped out or flushed out whenever I move or water them, I cut up an old pair of winter tights into small circles - snipped a tiny hole which I then stretch and secure over the top of the pot.
The seedlings are so tiny and with not enough root system to secure them into their pots, they uproot easily if they are disturbed in any way. And being such teeny lightweight pots they have a tendancy to tip over or move with the slightest touch, the fabric makes them much  more secure and easier to handle.

They have begun to produce tiny new growths but I have noticed that some of them seem to be growing on top of their neighbours! Not only on top of but abut half way up too. I can only presume when they were crowded in the flask that they took root and began to develop as and where they were. When they were de-flasked they were obviously potted in their little clumps to disturb them as little as possible.
My dilemma at the moment is whether I try to separate them now before they get too attached to each other or leave them for a while...

Update;
Above and below are recent photos after almost exactly a year - I wrote the draft for this post and quite a while ago. 
I have separated some of the seedlings as the ones not growing directly in the bark started to die off as their hosts got taller and their little roots got further away from the bark. I potted them into little clay pots with slightly larger bark and they are now about double in size. A few of the smaller seedlings died off but I still have more than enough to experiment with.


No comments:

Post a Comment