Saturday 28 December 2013

Leopard Love

My Africana ansellia threw its first spike this year after spending the summer in the greenhouse. I have had this plant for about two and half years from a seedling size. It is still quite small by Ansellia standards but at the moment I am quite grateful as they have monstrous potential. In the UK southeast climate, I'm sure it will be much more restrained in its growth habit.



There has been a noticeable difference in the cane it produced out in the greenhouse from the ones when it grew in windowsill culture.(Pre greenhouse)  Bigger, faster growing and much more robust.


The spike grew fast! Right out of the tip of the cane. This cane grew more sets of leaves than previous ones and I could hardly believe it when a tiny little nub then appeared.

My greenhouse is south facing and tucked up against a wall and the back of the house behind the wall. It is very sheltered but gets full sun exposure apart from around midday, when a large topiary shrub and a Horse Chestnut tree, throw some shade over it in the height of summer just when its needed. I also throw some frost fleece over my orchids that need screening from the very hottest part of the day as well as using some greenhouse shade cloth that I hang up. (The summer this year was exceptionally and unusually hot.)




As the buds developed I could see the spotting develop. The spotting on my plant is quite heavy which is what I hoped for. I have another Ansellia yet to bloom, but it is labelled as "alba" fingers crossed for next year.


The flowers were long lasting, ( I didn't make a note exactly how long which of course I now regret.) On occasion I could detect a sweet, honeyed, musky scent from the flowers but it was not always present and was at different times of the day. Maybe it was temperature related - again must take note!
Ants found the plant attractive and visited the flowers, but no seed pods set.







No comments:

Post a Comment